The supraglottic airway with a non-inflatable cuff
Why use the i-gel®?
Ease and speed of insertion
Superior seal pressure
Integral bite block
Airway management has evolved
Introducing the i-gel®: a revolutionary single use supraglottic airway from Intersurgical.
The i-gel® is the innovative second generation supraglottic airway device from Intersurgical. The first major development since the laryngeal mask airway, i-gel has changed the face of airway management and is now widely used in anaesthesia and resuscitation across the globe.
Made from a medical grade thermoplastic elastomer, i-gel has been designed to create a non-inflatable, anatomical seal of the pharyngeal, laryngeal and perilaryngeal structures whilst avoiding compression trauma.
Launched in 2007 after years of extensive research and development, i-gel now has an established reputation in anaesthesia with three adult and four paediatric sizes in the range, ideal for use with patient weights between 2-90+kg. In 2012, the indications for use were expanded to include use as a conduit for intubation (with fibreoptic guidance).
i-gel is supplied in an innovative, colour-coded polypropylene protective cradle or cage pack.
Features and benefits
The i-gel® has a host of features that provide significant benefits to the patient and the clinician.
- 15mm connector Reliable connection to any standard catheter mount or connection
- Clearly displayed product information For quick easy reference. Includes confirmation of size and weight guidance
- Position guide (adult sizes only) Easy confirmation of optimuminsertion depth
- Gastric channel The i-gel incorporates a gastric channel (except size 1). It provides an early warning of regurgitation, allows for the passing of a nasogastric tube to empty the stomach contents and facilitates venting
- Integral bite block Reduces the possibility of airway channel occlusion
- Buccal cavity stabiliser Aids insertion and eliminates the potential for rotation
- Epiglottic rest Reduces the possibility of epiglottic ‘down folding’ and airway obstruction
- The non-inflatable cuff Made from a unique soft gel-like material allowing ease of insertion and reduced trauma
- Innovative packaging The i-gel® supraglottic airway is supplied in a fully recyclable protective cradle or cage pack. This unique packaging protects the i-gel in transit and ensures that it maintains its anatomical shape. i-gel is available in seven sizes.